Vanguard Initiative - Efficient and Sustainable Manufacturing (ESM)
- Mar 29, 2017
- 5 comments
The Vanguard pilot on “Efficient and Sustainable Manufacturing” poposes technologies, methods and tools aimed at:
- Increasing throughput, quality, environmental and social sustainability of manufacturing activities while reducing costs;
- Reducing energy, materials consumption, emissions and increasing the inclusion of humans in the factories.
- Increasing the inclusion of humans in the factories Vision: Manufacturing should become efficient and sustainable to enable European reindustrialization and to preserve environment and planet’s resources. Manufacturing efficiency and sustainability are two challenges to be addressed in a synergic way and systemic view.
Manufacturing should become efficient and sustainable to enable European reindustrialization and to preserve environment and planet’s resources. Manufacturing and efficiency are two challenges to be addressed in a synergic way and systemic view. In particular, an innovation perspective should be taken in order to transfer to industry innovative solutions coming form research and exploiting the paradigm of smart specialization of European Regions in order to promote new efficient and high value-added supply chains.
In the frame of the initiative “Vanguard – New Growth Through Smart Specialization”, the Regions Lombardy and Catalonia proposed the “ESM – Efficient and Sustainable Manufacturing” pilot project with the intent of conceiving and developing a European networked infrastructure of pilot plants in key-areas of manufacturing. By leveraging available research results, ESM European pilot plants will support companies’ innovation in breakthrough technologies and applications that require manufacturing efficiency and sustainability. This approach will generate European competitive value chains exploiting synergies and complementarities of different regional specialization in the framework of:
- De- and remanufacturing
- Adaptive and intelligent assembly & manufacturing systems
- Advanced Sustainable Surface & Coating Manufacturing Technologies on Polymers
- Digital and Virtual Factory integrating planning and simulation into operative environments
- Energy and Environmentally-efficientManufacturing Processes
List of Regions involved
Lead regions are Lombardy and Catalonia.
Other Regions: Baden-Wurttemberg, Basque Country, Emilia-Romagna, Flanders, Hauts de France, Norte, Scotland, Saxony, Skane, Tampere, Wallonia
Other Regions expressed their interest in joining the pilot: Navarra, Austria, Slovenia, Galicia, East-Netherlands, South-Netherlands, Auvergne Rhone Alpes, Madzowiecke.