The overarching purpose of the GEO-ENERGY EUROPE project is to create a European Strategic Cluster Partnership (ESCP) with a focus on the sustainable use of the subsurface for energy, or “Geo-Energy”, as well as to develop, & propose an implementation roadmap for, a joint internationalisation strategy to help this ESCP go international (ESCP-4i), as encouraged by the COSME call for projects “Clusters Go International” (COS-CLUSINT-2016-03-01), and more specifically Strand 1a of the call. Building such a strategic partnership would help create a sort of European label for export opportunities and cooperation in know-how and technology transfer with third countries.
The detailed specific objectives of the project are the following:
- Foster trans-national partnership building, favouring mutual learning and sharing of resources, cross-pollination between countries & industry sectors, skill & technology transfer towards emerging industries such as deep geothermal, CCS & the geological storage of energy (other than hydrocarbon).
- Map skills, products & services of partners’ member SMEs and identify complementarities and cross-sectorial technology and skill transfer opportunities to consolidate value chains & allow complete offers in calls for tenders. Analyse & prioritize research, development & innovation (RD&I) needs across the concerned industrial sectors in Europe & worldwide. Enrich the industrial offer through valorisation of past & current RD&I projects’ results and creating new partnerships for future projects.
- Create a Partnership Agreement to formalize and sustain the partnership in the mid to long term, with a view to expand in geographic and thematic scope.
- Map, assess and prioritize high potential geo-energy markets in Europe and around the globe, and more specifically the deep geothermal energy markets to start with.
- Develop a joint internationalisation strategy to access prioritized third country markets.
- Design an implementation roadmap to facilitate the internationalisation of SME members, and get started with the associated action plan.
- Use existing tools (ECC platform) &/or create dedicated communication material and capacity building tools to disseminate knowledge and promote the know-how, products & services of participants’ member SMEs.
Target sectors are all geo-energy industries, i.e. upstream oil & gas, deep geothermal and geological storage industries with a focus on technology and know-how transfers towards aimed primarily at the industrial take-off of deep geothermal energy for district and industrial heating and power generation.
|Target Group||Type||Estimated Date||Country||City|
Open to SMEs
July 3-5, 2018
February 22, 2018
Partnership showcase at an international meeting or conference in one of identified third countries with high market potential
The work program shall deliver a joint ‘European’ strategic vision with a global perspective and common goals and actions towards specific third markets selected as high priority, as well as an implementation roadmap. Both the partnership agreement and internationalisation strategy that are aimed for in the mark of the project shall intensify the cluster and business network collaboration across European countries and internationally, across sectoral boundaries and notably in support of the development of emerging industries such as geothermal energy.
As reflected in the consortium composition, made of 4 clusters in applied geoscience or geo-energy at large and 4 business network organisations specialized in geothermal energy, the 2 years program will primarily target the planned networking activities, cross-sectorial skill & technology transfers, market studies and strategic planning towards the promotion of the emerging deep geothermal energy industry, in line with the European and most national energy transition goals.
The metacluster will however be designed in the most agile and open way, so as to further allow a broadening of its scope towards other emerging sectors (e.g. geological storage of CO2 and energy) and promote partnerships with targeted markets or with other sectors.