The overall objective of the project is to create a European Strategic Cluster Partnership covering the value chain of the seabed mining industry. Given that clusters have the ability to establish long term relationship for their SMEs, to be a facilitator and bridge-builder for cooperation and to provide them with the necessary support to further develop and sustain identified and emerging cooperation.
The project addresses the seabed mining sector which is fully in line with the European Blue Growth strategy which identified it as one of the five “priority areas” that could deliver sustainable growth and jobs in the blue economy. The potential of seabed mining and especially in deep waters is very high as the global annual turnover of marine mineral mining could reach €5 Billion in the next 10 years and up to €10 Billion by 2030. These figures will only be fully reached if the sector's value chain is well structured at an international level. The project has therefore a key role to play to achieve this goal through interclustering activities.
- Pôle Mer Méditerranée, a sea innovation cluster located in South of France. Its ambition is to contribute to the sustainable development of the maritime and coastal economy in the Mediterranean basin, in Europe and across the globe. It stimulates and encourages innovation trough collaboration around six Strategic Business Areas: Maritime safety and security; Ship and nautical industry; Marine energy resources; Marine biological resources; Environment and coastal planning; Ports, Infrastructures and shipping.
- Marine South East, an English business-led consortium developed to address the needs of the marine sector in the South East region of England, centred on the Solent. This large cluster exploits strong historical strengths in naval equipment manufacture, building and operation; ports and maritime logistics; and leisure craft. Over the past 20 years, diversification has been stimulated by major investment in ocean science, marine instrumentation, advanced marine manufacturing and marine/offshore renewable energy.
- Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique, a sea innovation Cluster located in the western part of France (Brest, Brittany) in the heart of the Atlantic Area. It has been created in 2005 and mainly based on a triple helix approach. Its focus is about six themes that are maritime safety and security, shipbuilding and leisure boatbuilding, marine mining and energy resources, Marine biological resources, coastal and environmental planning and management as well as maritime ports, infrastructure and transport. It aims at promoting regional economic competitiveness through innovation.
- West Pomeranian Maritime Cluster from Poland associates over 90 companies (small and medium size) involved in maritime economy. More than half of them are the skilled shipyarders manufacturing large constructions and different vessels, hulls or ship sections & blocks as well as ship-rebuilding /repairing companies and manufacturers of technical equipment. WMC associates also Maritime Academy, University of Technology, local self-government, marine design offices, some lawyers, a few banking organisations etc.
Engineering; Environment monitoring and assessment; Autonomous or robotic mining systems.
The 4 clusters involved will communicate regularly about their related activities and actions.
- Definition and identification of the value chain of seabed mining and the European expertise in the technologies highlighted. The trans-sectorial nature of seabed mining enables involving various actors specialised in Environmental monitoring, exploration technologies, autonomous systems, Optics.
- Identification of high potential European SME’s, International Markets identification and prioritization
- Design of internationalisation strategies to be implemented
|Name||Sector/Technology fields||Country||Regions||Total no. of members||Total no. of SME|
|Marine South East Ltd||
Environmental Services, Fishing and Fishing Products, Production Technology and Heavy Machinery
Aquaculture, Marine Science, Wind energy
Blue growth›Aquaculture, Blue growth›Blue renewable energy, Blue growth›Transport & logistics (incl. highways of the seas)
Blue Growth Industries
|United Kingdom||Hampshire and Isle of Wight||1800||1700|
|Pole Mer Bretagne Atlantique||
Environmental Services, Fishing and Fishing Products, Information Technology and Analytical Instruments
Marine Science, Wind energy, Environmental Engineering / Technology
Blue growth›Aquaculture, Blue growth›Blue renewable energy, Sustainable innovation›Eco-innovations
Blue Growth Industries, Environmental Industries
|Pôle Mer Méditerranée - Business & Innovation Sea Cluster||
Aquaculture, Fish / Fisheries / Fishing Technology, Marine Science
Blue growth›Aquaculture, Blue growth›Blue renewable energy, Blue growth›Marine biotechnology
Blue Growth Industries