SPACE2ID (Space Clusters International Industrial Diversification) aims to be the very first structured action for Space Service Providers and Application Developers to directly address the huge economic potential of several industrial sectors, carefully selected at European and International level with a clear “market pull” orientation.
The main objective of SPACE2ID is to create a sustainable ESCP (European Strategic Cluster Partnership) between European Space Clusters and other key European business clusters, referred to hereafter as MELCA clusters, from their areas of operation:
1) Mobility (i.e., transport of people)
3) Logistics (i.e., transport of goods)
4) Creative Industries (i.e., design, games and music)
European space clusters strongly believe that an important growth potential lies in these MELCA sectors where new value chains are expected to be developed at global scale. Information technologies, combined to Space data are key assets for the evolution of these business. In this context, the ambition of SPACE2ID is to accelerate this evolution by finding, in each of the MELCA secotrs, the most apropriate value chain segments where space data can be a major breakthrough.
The collaborations and products that will stem from this diversification process are particularly adapted to countries in which the ground infrastructures are not developed enough to allow these services to be provided by traditional ways. Therefore, the potential for the European space services industry to grow is based on its capability to export, especially towards developping countries. Nevertheless, in those relatively new domains, the companies are generally small to be able to deploy significant commercial actions abroad and obtain knowledge from the “end-users” needs at international level.
The high-level objectives of SPACE2ID are therefore:
1) To study the international markets and opportunities of downstream space technologies applications in the MELCA sectors.
2) To identify all European and international stakeholders and analyse the related new value chains.
3) To draft a 5-year internationalization plan in order to reach Europe’s full potential in downstream space technologies in the MELCA sectors and support the Europe GO International strategy.
SPACE2ID aims at investigating the crossing of space-based data and cutting edge digital technologies, to the service of various emerging industries such as: Mobility Industries, Energy, Logistical Services, Creative Industries and new Agriculture value chain.
|Target Group||Type||Estimated Date||Country||City|
Various cluster-level trainings will be organized among the European community if Space2ID. These virtual workshops will permit to train the various clusters to the potential of space-based data.
Several events will also take place by the end of the year, permitting exchanges and the fostering of collaborations between SMEs targetted by SPACE2ID scope.
The SPACE2ID project specifically aims at:
1) Defining the thematic areas that may poses greater potential for Space services application. The international market trends of the MELCA sectors will be examined individually to position, within each sector, targeted applications. Examples of potential applications are:
- In the Mobility sector: road monitoring for congestion avoidance in urban areas.
- In the Energy sector: monitoring of the renewable energy production.
- In the Logistics sector: management of containers in harbours.
- In the Creative Industries sector: location-based applications (mobile a-Galileo).
- In the Agriculture sector: precision farming.
2) Defining the targeted countries that may poses greater potential for Space and MELCA services
3) Identifying the relevant local actors and partners
4) Selecting a number of space actors coupled with MELCA end-users for the implementation of the strategies.
5) Assessing the export potential, for the selected space actors, based on the long-term plans and internal capabilities to perform exports.
6) Finding the complementarities to allow complete offers (i.e. consolidated value chains).
7) Building a roadmap for mid-term actions to be undertaken in the internationalisation plan.
8) Strengthening the action of the SPACE2ID ESCP with the creation of a partnership agreement that will give a legal frame to the follow-ups.
9) Reinforcing the positioning of space cross fertilization into the regional development scheme. Dissemination of the SPACE2ID results to regional stakeholders in order to influence the Smart Specialization Strategies.
10) Collaborating with other actions dealing with SMEs business deployment.
|Name||Sector/Technology fields||Country||Regions||Total no. of members||Total no. of SME|
|Madrid Sustainability and Renewable Energies Cluster||
Energy management, Process optimisation, waste heat utilisation, Photovoltaics
Aeronautics & space›Bio fuels & energy efficiency, Digital Agenda›Cleaner environment & efficient energy networks (e.g. smart grids), Energy production & distribution:›Power generation / renewable sources
Environmental Industries, Mobility Technologies
|Spain||Comunidad de Madrid||15||9|
|MADRID AEROSPACE CLUSTER||
Aerospace Vehicles and Defense
Aeronautical technology / Avionics, Aircraft, Space Exploration and Technology
Aeronautics & space›Aeronautics, Aeronautics & space›Remotely piloted aircrafts, Aeronautics & space›Space
|Spain||Comunidad de Madrid||74||48|
Environmental Services, Information Technology and Analytical Instruments
Space Exploration and Technology, Natural Disasters, Assessment of Environmental Risk and Impact
Aeronautics & space›Space
|Logistics in Wallonia||
Education and Knowledge Creation, Information Technology and Analytical Instruments, Transportation and Logistics
Intermodal Transport, Logistics, Road Transport
Aeronautics & space›Transport & logistics, Transporting & storage›Road transport & related services, Transporting & storage›Warehousing & support activities for transportation (logistics storage)
|Klaster Inteligentnych Systemów Transportowych||
Information Technology and Analytical Instruments, Transportation and Logistics
Applications for Transport and Logistics, System and transportation, Road Transport
Aeronautics & space›Transport & logistics
Digital Industries, Mobility Technologies
Aerospace Vehicles and Defense, Information Technology and Analytical Instruments
Embedded Systems and Real Time Systems, Aeronautical technology / Avionics, Satellite Navigation Systems
Aeronautics & space›Transport & logistics, KETS›Advanced materials, KETS›Micro/Nano electronics
Blue Growth Industries, Digital Industries, Mobility Technologies
Aerospace Vehicles and Defense
Aeronautical technology / Avionics, Satellite Navigation Systems, Space Exploration and Technology
Aeronautics & space›Aeronautics, Aeronautics & space›Space
Creative Industries, Digital Industries, Environmental Industries
|Belgium||Prov. Brabant Wallon||120||80|
|CAT.AL, High Technology Agrifood Lombardy Cluster (Parco Tecnologico Padano)||
Agricultural Inputs and Services, Biopharmaceuticals, Food Processing and Manufacturing
Manufacturing & Industry›Biotechnology, Public health and security›Food security & safety, Sustainable innovation›Sustainable agriculture
Education and Knowledge Creation, Information Technology and Analytical Instruments, Video Production and Distribution
Cultural Heritage, E-Publishing, Digital Content, Visualisation, Virtual Reality
Creative, cultural arts & entertainment:›Amusement & recreation activities, Creative, cultural arts & entertainment:›Creative, arts & entertainment activities, Cultural and creative industries›Development of regional cultural & creative industries
Creative Industries, Digital Industries, Experience Industries
Aerospace Vehicles and Defense, Communications Equipment and Services, Environmental Services
Electronic engineering, GIS Geographical Information Systems, Satellite Technology/Positioning/Communication in GPS
Aeronautics & space›Space, Information & Communication Technologies (ICT)›Telecommunications, KETS›Micro/Nano electronics
Blue Growth Industries, Digital Industries, Environmental Industries