EREK Finland Workshop - Improving resource efficiency through industrial symbiosis – Opportunities for SMEs
The event, a side event of the World Circular Economy Forum 2019, is co-organised by the European Resource Efficiency Knowledge Centre – EREK, and seeks to answer questions such as: What are the key drivers for success in industrial symbiosis and how to resolve possible barriers? What can we learn from each other to succeed even better? What’s in it for businesses and especially SMEs?
The event's objectives are:
- To enable networking and engage business support intermediaries from Finland and other countries into EREK and related industrial symbiosis/resource efficiency/circular economy activities.
- To raise awareness among Finnish business support intermediaries and SMEs from various sectors with regards to industrial symbiosis/resource efficiency initiatives and measures.
- To bring together business support intermediaries from the public and private sector, policy makers with responsibilities for resource efficiency industrial symbiosis and circular economy
- Build capacity in industrial symbiosis / resource efficiency / circular economy, share knowledge and experience on implementing programmes related to industrial symbiosis and achieving resource- and associated financial savings in SMEs, and learn from each other.
- The event should challenge the participants to think about how companies and other actors could promote the role of SMEs in industrial symbiosis and practically implement industrial symbiosis. The event should be participatory and focus on learning.
- capacity building: (1) tools and networks that promote industrial symbiosis in Europe and in Finland, (2) the role of material efficiency audits in realization of industrial symbiosis, (3) voluntary material efficiency commitments as means to promote industrial symbiosis
- exchange of ideas: (1) how the new National Exchange Platform for Wastes and Side streams can help implementing industrial symbiosis? (2) how the Finnish Industrial Symbiosis System (FISS) can best promote industrial symbiosis in the future?
- learnings: (1) long term experiences from promoting industrial symbiosis internationally, (2) experiences from Finland, lessons to learn.
- opportunities to problem-solve: global warming, waste, natural resources depletion, other material-related environmental issue.
The event was published on the project website, © European Union, 2018
Content available soon