Final federal budget 2018 increases funds for innovation and research and development
In February, the proposed Federal budget for 2018 was released and revealed important cuts in the field of research and development and innovation.
The budget was debated in Congress. Unlike what was proposed by the Office of Budget, the new FY 2018 supports regional innovation, with the help of numerous stakeholders who weighed on the Congress to maintain state support to innovation, research and development.
Once more, analysts from State Science and Technology Institute, an American non-profit organisation dedicated to supporting initiatives in the field of science, technology, innovation and entrepreneurship, made a detailed analysis.
In terms of innovation the following programmes will receive state support:
- The Regional Innovation Programme;
- The Manufacturing Extension partnership;
- The regional Innovation Clusters;
- The Community Development Financial Institution Fund.
As far as research and development are concerned, the following programmes will be funded:
- The National Science Foundation;
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration;
- The National Institutes of Health;
- The Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
To find out more about the programmes funded and their budget increase, access the excellent analysis of SSTI, by clicking here.